Welcome to this new page, which is for the for the foreseeable future replacing the "Topic Announcement" blog posts which I'm burnt out on writing. Release dates for PEL episodes refer to the release of the first half of the conversation. If you're a PEL Citizen, you'll get the whole thing on that date; if not, you'll have to wait another week for the second half.
The Next PEL Episodes
Ep.160: Readings about "White Privilege." We read both some cultural/informal selections and some academic articles. Cultural:
1. Peggy McIntosh: "Unpacking the Invisible Backpack" (1989)
2. Tim Wise: "White Like Me" documentary (2016):
3. George Yancy: "Dear White America" (2015 editorial in the NY Times The Stone)
4. John McWhorter: "The Privilege of Checking White Privilege” (2015 editorial in the Daily Beast)
1. Charles W. Mills: "White Ignorance" (2007)
2. Lewis R. Gordon: "Critical Reflections on Three Popular Tropes in the Study of Whiteness (2004) (From What White Looks Like, George Yancy, ed)
3. Lawrence Blum: "White privilege: A mild critique" (2008)
Ep. 162: Guest Stewart Umphrey on his 2016 book Natural Kinds and Genesis: The Classification of Material Entities.
The Next Nakedly Examined Music Episodes (What is this?)
I'm only listing episodes here that have already been recorded.
- NEM #39 with Ken Stringfellow, famed for co-fronting The Posies but also with a lot of interesting solo work and collaborations.
- NEM #40 with Clive Farrington of When in Rome, most known for their 1988 single "The Promise."
- NEM #41 with Glenn Mercer, leader of The Feelies
- NEM #42 with Karla Kane, leader of the San Francisco band, The Corner Laughers.
- NEM #43 with Steve Wynn, originally leader of the Dream Syndicate with numerous solo albums and collaborations like The Baseball Project (featuring members of REM)
The next Phi Fic episodes (What is this?)