Mark, Erica, and Brian are joined by Utah philosophy prof and former food writer C. Thi Nguyen to talk food as art, foodies, elitism, food TV, cooking vs. eating, and how analyzing food is like analyzing games. Read Thi’s work at objectionable.net, including the article on “outrage porn” we talk about that he co-wrote with Bekka Williams, and his general account of “the arts of action.” Also, check out his blog posts about cookbooks and his new book. Purchase Games: Agency As Art. Follow Thi @add_hawk.
- “Welcome to Peak Food TV: Inside Hollywood’s Growing Hunger for Culinary Shows” by Michael O’Connell
- “Why People Loved Bourdain” by Jaron Gilinsky
- “What Was the Foodie?” by Josephine Livingstone
- The 2014 documentary film Foodies: The Culinary Jet Set
- “What Are the Best Food Podcasts Right Now?” by Maryse Chevriere
This episode includes bonus discussion that you can hear now by supporting the podcast at patreon.com/prettymuchpop. This podcast is part of the Partially Examined Life podcast network and is curated by openculture.com.