Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 42:19 — 38.8MB)
Subscribe to get both parts of this episode ad free.
Concluding our discussion of the Daodejing with guest Theo Brooks. This continues directly from part one, but you should really start with ep. 311.
Sections covered in this part of the discussion include:
- 40, is a short, puzzling section about the "movement" of the Dao.
- 42, which is also cosmological, concerning the yin and yang and how the Dao is prior to experienced things.
- 61, which uses the metaphor of sexual difference to talk about the relations of small and large states.
- 80, which recommends keeping your state small.
- 47, which is the source for the Beatles song, "The Inner Light."
- 41, which defensively dismisses students who shun Daoism.
Next episode: We're reading another figure from the Chinese Warring States period: Mozi, specifically the Basic Writings selected and translated by Burton Watson.
Sponsors: Get 3 months VPN free at ExpressVPN.com/pel. Check out the Hermitix podcast at hermitix.net.
Leave a Reply