As a Citizen/Subscriber, you can get all paywalled and ad-free regular episodes on the app of your choice: instructions for various apps follow below. We recommend Overcast (iOS) or Podcast Addict (Android), but you can also use Apple Podcasts and various other apps. Contact us here if you have trouble. (Not a Citizen? Join here). Note that Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts currently do not work for our paid feeds.
Note that when you set up the Citizen Feed, you will be subscribed to a podcast that is different from the one available to the public. So if you're already subscribed to the publicly available feed, you'll see two entries for The Partially Examined Life in your app. Be sure to choose the one titled Citizen Feed.
(Please also keep in mind that memberships through this website and memberships through Patreon work separately. For instructions on getting the Citizen feed via Patreon, see: https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041347732--How-to-use-your-custom-audio-RSS-link).
If you have trouble making these instructions work, try troubleshooting here: https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/troubleshooting-getting-paywalled-episodes/
1. Click the "Library" button along the bottom and then click the "..." button on the top right (in prior versions of the app, "Edit"). Choose "Add a Show by URL." (In the Podcasts app on a Laptop or Desktop, use "File>Add a Show by URL." In iTunes, use "File>Subscribe to Podcast").
2. Enter the URL https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/feed/citizen/ (make sure to include the final backslash) and after you see a popup with "Sign-In Required," enter your Citizen username and password, and hit "Sign In." After about 10 seconds, a box should appear saying "subscribed." (If this doesn't work, please upgrade your Podcasts app).
In the summer of 2021, Apple made it possible to subscribe through podcasts within its app. If you do that, you don't need to use the instructions above, which assume that you subscribed through our site rather than directly via Apple's app. Although setting up your own feed is less convenient than subscribing through Apple, we recommend registering through our site and then following the instructions above, since Apple gives us no way to keep in touch with subscribers or offer other benefits.
Tap on the "+" symbol in the upper right to open the add podcast screen. Then tap on "Add URL" at the top right, and then enter the URL https://username:email@example.com/feed/citizen/ (substituting your username and password into the feed).
- Open the app and tap the “+” icon in the top right.
- Select the "RSS feed" option.
- Enter the URL: https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/feed/citizen/ and check "Authentication Required."
- Enter your username and password.
You can change the login/password at any time by long pressing on the podcast, then selecting ‘Custom Settings’ and finally ‘Edit podcast url.’
Choose "Add" then "Add Podcast Manually," then enter the URL https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/feed/citizen/ along with your Citizen username and password, and hit "Subscribe."
In generally, you can usually add a podcast manually (or "by URL") on your app (often via a "+" icon) and using one of the following methods:
- Enter the URL https://partiallyexaminedlife.com/feed/citizen/ (and then enter username and password when prompted) OR
- Enter the URL https://username:firstname.lastname@example.org/feed/citizen/ (substituting your username and password into the feed)
You'll find some video instructions on adding feeds manually here.
If you still have trouble, a) Google the name of your podcast app with "add feed manually" or "add feed by url" to find instructions; or b) contact us here.
If you sync your device to your computer, you can get episodes as follows: browse the episodes on our website. You can listen online or to download: Right-click (or shift-click) on the hyperlink to the audio file, and choose "save target as" (or whatever your browser's equivalent). In iTunes, choose "Add File to Library" (then use "Get Info" on the file to tell it to remember your playback position) and sync your device. You can also download it to Dropbox or the equivalent on your computer and listen to it on your mobile device.